Sunday, June 11, 2006

Moonrise, the full moon of June.

Just witnessed the most spectacular moonrise I have ever seen. The red slither on the right of the Whitestone Bridge grew dangerously pregnant at an incredible rate until it burst into the sly smile of the red moon bearing down on the outline of the city with all it's lights, and planes and cars... It grew and grew until the precarious moment of hanging right in the middle of the span of the bridge, just long enough for the brain to register the happenstance of the moment... and unceremoniously moved on. It is traveling along the sky getting brighter and rounder with each passing moment.

...I just settled down to have a meal of stir fried string beans and chicken sausage when I stared out to see this spectacle of a gracious circle of the full moon. The whole thing took no longer than for me to woof down the plate-full of my dinner. All I had time to realize that my expensive SLR camera is happily resting in the downstairs garage and running to get it would simply deprive me of the sight and frustrate me even more. I took a picture with my camera phone instead.



...I am moving from my apartment in the Bronx. The apartment I have raved about to everyone for the incredible view of the city. The view that got me to sign the lease before being quite certain of the number of rooms or the price of the rent. The view that starts from the George Washington Bridge, skims along the entire city below and gets lost somewhere upstate. The view that I so rarely had a chance to enjoy with someone else.

I know it is time to move but I will miss this apartment, this view and these two years - two years right after residency, two years of growing up

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was observing the same moon standing on the boardwalk on Brighton Beach and it was absolutely breathtaking. One thing that seems to be the theme for me in my life and everybody else around me, as well as in my work with patients in the past several weeks, is the theme of moving on. All the achivements and gains come with the loss. You do have to close one door in order for the other one to open. Therefore all the victories come with saddness and ambivalence. The one thing that helps you move on is the believe that what you will gain will be better then what you loose. I hope that you find this true for your new apartment.
Love,
Margarita